Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Power of Collaboration

I found the class visit to Axis Space refreshing. In class I remember Dr. Forgey briefly explaining the concept of shared office space so to take a tour really put things into perspective. I think shared office is a great idea, especially for small start-up companies or individuals looking to rent office space at an affordable price. While on the site I realized that renting the space came with perks other than free coffee and great views. Your lease gives you access to the building 24/7, the pool, valet service, unlimited printing and Wi-Fi. While walking around the building I noticed it had cool features like a nap room and telephone booths to cut down on the noise and give a sense of privacy. Axis space also offers conference rooms for rent and private offices on the floors above. What I found extremely interesting is how even with the private offices and conference rooms the doors were glass. One of the lease agreements is that even private rooms must remain see through so no drapes or curtains are allowed. The tour leader Sebastian stated that the reason for that clause was to really enforce their idea of “The power of Collaboration.” So much so that they made the kitchen down stairs as a way to force people to co-mingle amongst one another. I think this is a clever way to get people to spark conversation.

Overall I believe the idea of collaboration is a great innovative way to form partnerships and grow together as companies. However, I did find a few concerns with the Axis Space layout. Even with the phone booths I believe there is library element to open working space. While you want to get work done and be comfortable, I believe having multiple people working in the same space can get a little chaotic and you don’t want to distract your neighbor. Privacy is another factor I would be concerned about especially with being in close proximity and sharing copiers. If you are taking highly sensitive information from clients such as social security numbers and account numbers you wouldn't want to take a chance at people from other companies obtaining confidential information. After viewing the space on the weekend I would like to view it again during a weekday to get a better feel of the environment. Aside from a few concerns if I were a small start-up I could see myself renting a space in Axis. I like the idea of collaboration and believe that this is a great way to network and promote your business.   

No comments:

Post a Comment